Monday, September 22, 2008

Welcome To My Blog, May You Learn Something New After Reading This


Thank you for stopping by this blog, may you find something valuable here that you won't learn anywhere else, other than experiencing it yourself, firsthand, as I have. You may wonder why I named this blog as I have, it is because if you are curious about La France Elementary School in South Carolina I would like for you to know a few things about their treatment of autistic children, such as my son, before you consider putting your child in this school.

My son went to the special needs classroom and as you will see by the evidence that I present, that he was mistreated and punished for being autistic/having autistic behaviors, for having sensory processing issues, and that the teacher was NOT qualified to teach autistic children.

You might think that because you do not have a special needs child that this doesn't apply to you but you will find that, after reading more information that I provide, the principal and even at the district level I was in fact bullied and intimidated to take an entry off of my other blog that was a perfectly legal and justifiable entry. It was the assistant superintendent who admitted to me that she told the principal to tell me to take the entry off of my blog in which that had NO right to tell me or to even suggest that I take something off that the first amendment gives me the right to publish. I believe that after you hear my stories that you will agree that these people who are getting government funding for having my child in the classroom when he is not even there anymore. I even had a lawyer tell me that, "You can bet that this school is still getting the government funding even though your son is not even in the classroom this year." I am sure that they are which should concern all of us since that is OUR tax money and nobody is even checking into it.

Perhaps you will just take a look at the evidence and information that I present because the papers that I scan are the actual ones that the teacher sent home with my child and it is apparent that she is making him stay out of recess, sit in time out for 20 minutes, and missing his regular education classes just for acting autistic and doing things that practically ALL autistic children do.

We moved from Anchorage, Alaska 2 years ago and the education and level of understanding was far beyond stellar and it has been nothing but hell since he set foot in La France Elementary. I was denied an I.E.P for months and never got the Behavior Intervention Plan in place during the IEP that I did get even though the teacher repeatedly reported nothing but negative comments about my son nearly every single day. I want to go ahead and publish the report right now so that you can see it and let me know what you think about how she had NO knowledge of how to deal with an autistic child. I am outraged and I will keep this blog forever and never give up trying to get justice for what has been done to my child. Not only does my son have disabilities but so do I and I feel that I have been mistreated and taken advantage of by these people. They took advantage of the fact that I was terrified of retaliation while he was in the school and now that he is attending school at home and never will be in the SC public school system ever again, I will speak out and teach people what has been going on there!!!!!

Please read on:

In reference to the paper up above which is a report sent home by the teacher concerning my son. Keep in mind that it is the teacher's own policy that if the child gets a "red" light then there is a parent/teacher conference about the child's behavior and how to best deal with it, I imagine to make sure that everyone is on the same page. NOT once was there a conference with the teacher, she never even mentioned it and even though I did, she never would respond to me.

Although she comments that she is concerned about his "defiant behavior" she does not sit down and talk to me about it, she does not answer my e-mail messages, my phone messages, or the notes that I put in my son's backpack that went to school with him. I was left in the dark the entire time my child was in that classroom without any explanation whatsoever!

She mentions that he is not getting along with his peers.........................DAH!!!! Anyone who even remotely knows anything about autism knows that they do not have social skills and do not understand how to relate to their peers, this is a major factor in the diagnosis of autism! This is a common theme for her and she often punishes him for not "getting along with his peers". This is WRONG people! The other behaviors that he displayed was caused by ??????? If there had been a discussion about it perhaps I could have figured out why he was doing those things. All I know is that he does not do those things at home or out in public with me or with my relatives who watch over him. I have lots of ideas of what could have caused them from being bored with the curriculum (his IQ was in the 81st percentile, he is exceptionally intelligent and needs to be challenged). He may have been ignored and needed help and didn't know how to ask for help, if there was too much commotion going on in the classroom he could have been having sensory overload. There are so many things that could have been going on with him and I do not believe that he should have been punished for acting out when the teacher should have known how to deal with it other than trying to keep him still in time out for a whopping 20 minutes................which is insane! I just wonder how she kept him still for so long especially if he was so upset. I could go on but I will save it for later in order to move on.

Once again, he was probably yelling and taking things from classmates because he has absolutely NO social skills, he doesn't know what sharing means or how to carry it out and frankly doesn't care, he has no concern for his peers whatsoever!

It simply sounds to me like he had a major meltdown and that nothing was done about it, nobody tried to calm him down, to redirect him, or to even bother asking him what was bothering him so much................instead all he got was discipline for actions that he had little to no control over.

She mentioned that "he thinks he is and wants to be the boss". Well, for starters he has no clue what that means, not in the least, and he has no idea what "being the boss" is and how to manipulate adults in such a manner. What he does do is to get extremely upset when he loses control and doesn't know what to do, what to say, and how to ask for help. So, if the teacher and all the adults in the classroom are not helping him to maintain control of himself and to regain control when he loses it, then of course he is going to be what is considered to be "rude". Most of all he will tell you what he doesn't want to do because it is most likely the source of all of his frustration or it is too much expected of him while he is having a meltdown. I explained to her over and over and over for many many months, that he has sensory issues, as all autistic children do, and that if he does not have those issues addressed then he will act out and ultimately have a meltdown and sometimes it is then too late to even get him to calm down so that you can talk to him. If he has some means of self-regulating and is left alone for awhile to get himself calmed down (and he is closely watched so that he doesn't hurt himself) then after quite some time then he will at least stop lashing out at those who are overwhelming him and expecting too much of him.

The teacher would never listen to me, no matter how sweet and kind I was and it didn't matter what kind of approach I took, she absolutely refused to work with me and to help out my child. I recently went to an advocacy group who told me that many federal laws have been broken and that I should carry through with litigation but I will keep you posted on that.

Please, after reading this, I do hope that you have some understanding about what my son has been through and how the school refused to work with me and my son. I will be posting new reports often so keep checking back from time to time. I just want you all to be aware of all that goes on there and that you should always be pro-active with your child and keep track of what he/she is being punished for and if the teacher is even communicating with you about how to help your child and to work with you so that everyone is on the same page, whether your child is a special needs child or not.

Thank you for stopping by, please feel free to leave comments and let me know what your opinion or feelings are on this situation.........or you can definitely ask me questions that I will be more than glad to answer. BTW, I must add that my child's SLP (Speech and Language Pathologist) was an angel and seemed to understand him better than anyone, if only they had all been that way! So, if she reads this I wish to thank her for all the wonderful work that she has done because it is evident that he has learned a great deal from her! I must mention that his teacher at Pendleton Elementary was also an angel and I am grateful for the time that she spent with him. She has a special needs child so she knew how to love him unconditionally as she has done with so many students in her care.

Oh yes, I forgot to add.................so what if my child chooses to talk to himself?????????? What is the big deal and what kind of point was she trying to prove by writing that down on his report? Is that meant to be derogatory or what? There a millions of people who talk to themselves on a regular basis..................does that mean that he is being punished for that as well? Or did she think that I was going to think that my child was mentally ill or something because he "talks to himself"? For heaven's sake...........he is only 6 years old!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And is he being punished for whining in his speech class (I truly doubt that his SLP expected him to be punished for whining)? I frankly do not know many children around that age, and even older, who do not whine when they are faced with something that they do not want to do......................for that matter I know just as many adults who whine about everything!

MORE TO COME SO STAY TUNED. Have a wonderful day and may you make all the appropriate choices for your child's education and well being.

12 comments:

KC's Blog said...

Lora Ihave to say it, the teacher makes Griffin sound like some sort of wild animal! That is what it seems like to me and that she has no clue as to how to deal with an Autistic child. It also sounds like he was placed in the wrong program or the teacher has absolutely no freaking clue. She should have met with you for heavens sake! She just wanted to punish and didn't want to see what the true issue was, it sounds like Griffin IS being punished for being Autistic. This nhas got to hurt your heart so much Lora. I can not imagine what Griffin went through. I am so furious with this so called teacher! Fight these BULLIES Lora. Fight with all you got, you are helping so many other children with Autism by doing this. Maybe they will get a real teacher who is experienced with Autistic children! You are fighting for Griffin and for all children with Autism. Lora have you considered calling a news station with your concerns? I would do it so that the parents of the children in that class will know what is going on. We areall behind you 100%
I hope the school realizes that you have friends in high places and this will not just go away, you will fight until you get justice for Griffin!
Hugs and love and support always,

KC's Blog said...

I forgot to add, the teacher did not spell DEFIANT correctly. She spelled it DEFFIANT. Go figure.

Happy Elf Mom (Christine) said...

KC's mom sent me. Am linking right now. My autistic son was abused in school here in Missouri.

GOD BLESS YOU!

branwass said...

You go girl! I have a son in the 2nd grade who is diagnosed with Combined ADHD, OCD, sensory problems, social/emtional delay, and dyslexia. Which I believe is incorrect I an sure he has Asperger's but his current treatment is working and one of his meds is for autism so. But to the piont of the matter- He went to an awesome special needs preschool, but ever since Elem school it has been an uphill battle with the school to get his IEP reenstated after 6, to get him to stay in school and get his therapy and interventions correctly addressed. The beginning of this year was a nightmare. We had problems finding an medication or combo of that would help him with little side effects, his first teacher was one who could not deal with him. She expected hime to do as she said and that was it. She did not inplement any stragtergies with him and he woild get frustarted when ignored or when he got overstimulated and have a meltdown and end up in the office. Anyway the new principal is awesome and helped greatly to find a way to help my son. He now has the teacher I requested and she is wonderful with him and implements ways to help him cope and makes sure his IEP is foolwed through with and to my surprise this last week has been the best it has been in the last 3 years. He has a long way to go but is finally in the right place and on the right track. He also is very bright. Keep up the fight! There are many moms fighting for change just like you and if we don't give up change will come. I know somedays seem like there's no hope to get others to help you help your child, but keep on pushing and the light will prevail. I will keep you in my prayers.

mommy~dearest said...

KC's mom sent me too-

You are not alone! My son suffered two terrible years at two different schools. This is our 3rd school in three years, but he is finally in a school that is supportive to his ASD, and we're very hopeful.

It's a terrible thing that these schools are getting away with such crappy treatment of our children. My son was segregated from his classmates in a room with nothing but a desk and a chair in it, for four months.

Stop on by my blog and click on the category "school" to get an idea what we've been through (some of them may still be labeled under "craptastic", but I think I moved them all to "school"), and how we've handled arisings. Could offer some ideas?

This is something that I try to be a strong advocate for, and if I can be of any help, please don't hesitate to ask!

I'm so sorry your son had to endure such a vile teacher. Keep up the fight, Griffin is worth it!

Ange said...

We have been fighting the good fight for years (you can search 'behavior' on my blog and see some posts) and I am so tired. They just refuse to see my child as anything but a behavior. I am considering homeschooling him while continuing to advocate for change. Also here in MO.

I am so sorry your son has had to experience the hate and misunderstanding. :(

kristi said...

Gosh, Lora, what a nightmare. Let me just say my school district is FINALLY on the ball and TC is in a life skills class. He is happy, and his teacher understands autism. We have only had one issue this year, that is with my sister (who works at the school daycare) going to TC's class to basically be nosey. I handled that with the quickness and she is no longer speaking to me.

I noticed the teacher misspelled defiant.

Why are these teachers handling our Autistic kids without the proper training????

GClef1970 said...

Lora, I'm here!! God knows we went through hell and back with the Volusia County school district in Florida. These teachers should be utterly ashamed of themselves. Some sort of law needs to be passed so that other autistic children don't end up being punished and ostracized simply because the teachers are ignorant. Grrr!!!

Miekie said...

I am homeschooling a special needs child (not my own), but I have taught special needs in public and private schools for years. In S.A. and I guess in U.S.A. any qualified teacher gets appointed to teach special needs children. There is now requirement that the teacher should have special training. The trouble here is that classes are too big and more often than not, different disabilities are grouped together, which makes teaching I.E.P. very challenging.
The progress my present learner is showing in homeschool this year, compared to what she did in my class last year (i.e. same teacher, but different circumstances) is incredible. She does much more than even I dreamt she would be able to achieve.

In my teaching career I have met many teachers who simply do not care enough e.g. preschool teachers who wear cream pencil skirts and teachers who flatly refuse to give their telephone numbers to parents. In 22 years of teaching I always gave my telephone number to parents and very rarely was this abused. There MUST be a good open honest relationship between teacher and parent and it is absolutely unforgivable if she refused to discuss such a negative report with you!! She should have called you in or even had breakfast with you on a Saturday morning so that both of you could calmly and rationally discuss your son's behaviour, your concerns and her problems in the class room. (I have held very positive interviews like this re "difficult" children and or "difficult" parents. All it takes is compassion and a willingness to give a little.) She is not worth the name teacher!
I understand your frustrations regarding her comments on his autistic behaviour. My own son was in a special school because he was severely ADDH and at parents' evening his teacher told me that he did not pay attention in class!! Who was supposed to get him to pay attention in class? The mother or the teacher presenting the lesson!!
Look luck with your fight!
(My blog is www.homeschoolingaspecialchild.blogspot.com)

Miekie said...

Sorry I can't spell either! I wrote now requirements instead of no requirements!

BT said...

What an absolute nightmare for you and Griffin. I have no intimate knowledge of autism, but would know from general reading that the teacher's approach (and I use the term teacher very loosely) was useless and even harmful in the extreme.

I was with a headteacher in the UK for 6 years and the difference in the treatment of special needs children in any of his schools and in Griffin's is astounding. Why that woman is a teacher I have no idea. You have to love kids, warts and all, to do the job.

Good luck to you and Griffin and DO go ahead with the court case.

Love

Gina

Floridamom said...

Please pass this information on to your readers.

Thank you.

Regards,
Phyllis
Families Against Restraint and Seclusion
http://familiesagainstrestraintandseclusion.blogspot.com/


National Disability Rights Network Releases Shocking Report 1/13/2009 on Seclusion and Restraint in U.S. Schools
REPORT : School is Not Supposed to Hurt http://www.napas.org/


U.S. Senator Chris Dodd (D-CT) Discusses New Report on Use of Seclusion and Restraint in Schools at 1/13/09 Press Conference in Washington D.C. http://polfeeds.com/item/Dodd-Discusses-New-Report-on-Use-of-Seclusion-and-Restraint-in-Schools

Awareness video on Restraint and Seclusion that was sent to the National Disability Rights Network on 01/16/2009
Restraint and Seclusion Behind Closed Doors 1-23-09
http://youtube.com/watch?v=Fkhhv2fUwDg


U.S. Representative George Miller Asks GAO to Investigate Cases of Abuse and Neglect of Schoolchildren
January 27, 2009 2:21 PM
WASHINGTON, D.C. – U.S. Rep. George Miller (D-CA), the chairman of the House Education and Labor Committee, today asked the U.S. Government Accountability Office to further investigate recent reports of seclusion and restraint of children in public and private schools across the country. Miller’s committee plans to hold a hearing on these practices in the coming months.
Earlier this month, the National Disability Rights Network released a report detailing hundreds of cases where abusive uses of seclusion and restraint by school staff injured or traumatized schoolchildren, many with disabilities. The report revealed cases where students were abusively pinned to the floor, handcuffed, locked in closets, and subjected to other acts of violence. In some of the cases, children died.

As Miller noted in his letter to GAO today, a prior GAO investigation conducted at Miller’s request uncovered thousands of similar cases of abuse at teen residential treatment facilities across the country. GAO’s work laid the groundwork for legislation to address these abuses, the Stop Child Abuse in Residential Programs for Teens Act of 2008 (H.R. 6358), which the House passed in June.

“Unfortunately, vulnerable children and teens are being abused all too often in other contexts,” Miller wrote. “To assist in the Committee’s ongoing efforts to help protect our children, I specifically request that FSI investigate the use of restraint, seclusion, and harmful aversive handling of children and youth in private and public schools.”
http://edlabor.house.gov/newsroom/2009/01/chairman-miller-asks-gao-to-in.shtml


Report: Kids are restrained, secluded
THE ASSOCIATED PRESS January 13, 2009
http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5huWEo5_-u5Lhk3Y4zkjLDrWLvLLQD95MING80
WASHINGTON -- School children across the U.S. have been injured or killed when they were restrained or secluded, a disability rights group says. A
House committee announced a hearing on the issue.

The National Disability Rights Network, in a report Tuesday, identified cases across the country in which children, many of them with disabilities,
were traumatized, injured or killed at school.

For example, 15-year-old Michigan boy with autism died while being restrained by four school employees, the report said.

In another case, a 13-year-old Georgia boy hanged himself in a locked concrete seclusion room after pleading with teachers not to isolate him for
hours at a time.

The group said its report "is clearly just the tip of the iceberg" because the government doesn't have any system of collecting data about these
abuses.

Rep. George Miller, D-Calif., chairman of the House Education and Labor Committee, said he would schedule a hearing on the issue.

"This report raises serious questions about the treatment of school children, the qualifications and training of staff, and what actions have
been taken to address these unconscionable practices," Miller said. "No child should be at risk or in danger while at school, no matter what the circumstances."